Cho Ray Hospital

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Hospital Lead:
Dr. Nguyen Van Khoi
Total Enrollment:
1005
Cho Ray Hospital is the largest general hospital in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, founded in 1900 during the French colonial rule as Hôpital Municipal de Cholon. Over the years, the hospital has also been known as Hôpital Indigène de Cochinchine (1919), Hôpital Lolung Bonnoires (1938), and Hôpital 415 (1945), until it was ultimately renamed Chợ Rẫy in 1957.

The facility was reconstructed on the area of 53,000 m² and was re-equipped to become one of the largest hospitals in Southeast Asia in June 1974 with the help of the Japanese government.

At present, the hospital has 35 clinical, 11 subclinical and 8 functional departments. It organizes practice and postgraduate training for more than 2,500 medical students and 600 doctors each year. Cho Ray Hospital has 1200 beds, employs 2,270 health workers including 500 medical doctors and pharmacists, and provides treatment for about 457,000 outpatients and 67,000 inpatients per year.

Active international contacts are held with medical facilities all over the world.

Dr. Nguyen Van Khoi

Site Principal Investigator