Kenyatta National Hospital

Nairobi, Kenya

Hospital Lead:
Dr. Fred Otsyeno
Total Enrollment:
891
Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) in Nairobi is the oldest hospital in Kenya. Founded in 1901 with a bed capacity of 40 as the Native Civil hospital, it was renamed the King George VI in 1952. At that time, the settler community was served by the nearby European Hospital (now Nairobi Hospital). It was renamed Kenyatta National Hospital -- after Jomo Kenyatta -- following independence from the British.

Kenyatta National Hospital has grown to become the largest referral and teaching hospital in the country. KNH is at the apex of the referral system in the Health Sector in Kenya and covers an area of 45.7 hectares. There are several institutions within the KNH complex, including the College of Health Sciences (University of Nairobi), the Kenya Medical Training College, and the Kenya Medical Research Institute and National Laboratory Service (Ministry of Health).

KNH has 50 wards, 22 out-patient clinics, 24 operating theaters (16 specialized) and an Accident & Emergency Department. Out of the total bed capacity of 1800, 209 beds are for the Private Wing, and over 6000 staff are employed at KNH.
Dr. Lutomia Mark Lumbasi

Dr. Fred Otsyeno

Site Principal Investigator